An adventure day (6 hours) far from the pistes ski touring to access remote terrain. These sessions are available in Tignes, St Anton and Val d’Isere.
Minimum Level: Off-Piste Level 4 (Gold)
Fitness level: Need to be able to tour 500m+ of ascent.
Equipment required: Touring skis and bindings, skins, transceiver, shovel, probe. (The ski school can provide an avalanche pack if needed. Please request at the time of booking. ) Minimum of 1 litre of water, snacks and a picnic lunch.
What you’ll cover
- A briefing on avalanche safety equipment and the snowpack.
- How to check the local weather forecast and avalanche risk bulletin.
- How to read a map, pick a route and understand the steepness and avalanche risks of the slopes you’ll be accessing.
- 500m+ of vertical ascent, taking in the spectacular scenery and learning about the environment around you. You may learn the names of the main peaks in the area, the valleys that divide them and the local features and terrain traps.
- Where it is safe to take breaks and how to safely pick a route up the mountain.
- How to improve your kick turns on steep ascents, improve your balance touring on difficult terrain and work on your movements to improve your efficiency.
- Picking your line down the face you’re skiing. This could be a powder field, steep couloir, ridgeline or forest. You’ll experience the excitement of skiing in the real backcountry. This should be a day that you won’t forget for a long time.